Joint Mortgage One Self-Employed

Get in touch for a free initial chat with an adviser about how we might be able to help.

1 Step 1
reCaptcha v3

Joint Mortgage One Self-Employed – Finding a suitable deal

Taking out a joint mortgage can significantly boost your borrowing potential, so you could afford a more expensive property. Our clients often wonder how it works with a self-employed applicant – and the good news is that this is very common and usually straightforward.

Can you get a joint mortgage with a self-employed person?

When you’re buying a home, self-employed mortgages jointly with another applicant are a good option to explore. Lenders will combine both incomes to calculate the loan amount, so it can mean you can borrow more.

This kind of joint application is available on most mortgage products. Mortgage lenders will assess affordability for each applicant separately and take a look at your credit scores. If you have bad credit but your partner has a good credit record, you can often find it easier to get a joint mortgage than an individual one.

How much can you borrow with a self-employed joint mortgage?

The amount you can borrow is based on your income. Lenders generally multiply your annual earnings by four or five to calculate the mortgage total. With a joint mortgage, the figure used is your combined annual income.

As an example, if your partner earns £35,000 on PAYE and your self-employed income is around £25,000 per year, your combined income is £60,000. You could therefore potentially borrow up to £300,000 on a mortgage. 

It’s important to explore what your potential loan amount will mean in terms of the repayments on your mortgage, to make sure they are comfortably affordable. Putting down a larger deposit will reduce the monthly payments.

What documents do you need for a joint self-employed mortgage?

Each applicant needs to provide proof of income – and this works differently for a self-employed person versus someone in an employed role. 

An employed applicant usually supplies payslips to confirm their salary. Meanwhile, self-employed people will need tax records or company accounts for the past one to three years.

Both applicants will also need to show proof of ID via a passport and driving licence, plus recent bank statements.

Speak To An Expert

Total Home Loans are a national mortgage broker with whole of market access. Their combined experience of over 50 years in the mortgage and financial services industry means they have an enviable reputation and one which makes them well-placed to find the most suitable mortgage solution for you.

How does it work for a Sole Trader / Contractor / Limited Company?

The documents needed vary by lender and can depend on your business set-up. 

Sole traders tend to supply one to three years’ tax details, including SA302 self assessment forms which state your annual earnings. 

Limited Company Directors usually need one to three years of accounts. Some lenders will accept net profit in your business as well as salary and dividends, which can often mean you can borrow more. Your mortgage broker can advise on this. 

Contractors may be considered as sole traders or limited companies, but some lenders accept a contracting day rate as income, together with proof of contract.

Does a mortgage have to be in joint names?

When you apply for a joint mortgage you will generally be able to borrow more, which is why they are popular – but ultimately it’s your decision whether you apply singly or jointly. 

If you will both be paying the mortgage, it is a good idea to put both names on the mortgage so you can share the equity. You can also choose to put just one person on the mortgage but two people on the deeds for the property, although not all mortgage lenders will allow this. 

Free Credit Score and Report

From the UK's Most Detailed Online Credit Report
check my file

Try it for free for 30 days and get the only Credit Report that checks data from Equifax, Experian, TransUnion and Crediva. 

Clicking this link takes you away from the regulatory site of Total Home Loans. Neither Total Home Loans nor Quilter Financial Planning are responsible for the accuracy of the information contained within the linked site.


How can a Mortgage Broker help?

A Mortgage Broker like Total Home Loans is here to help you explore your mortgage options and achieve your property goals. 

We advise on all kinds of property finance: individual mortgages, joint mortgages, Buy to Let mortgages and remortgage deals. We compare fees, rates and criteria across suitable products to recommend the most suitable options for you.

Once you’re ready to start applying for a mortgage and buy a property, we’ll support you all the way, checking you have the documents you need and keeping things moving. 

Most buy-to-let mortgages are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.


By clicking the link, you will need to register your details with Checkmyfile and enter into a free 30-day trial period.  This will allow enough time for you to register your information and download your report.  You are free to cancel this trial period at any time during the 30-day free trial period without penalty.  Should you fail or choose not to do so, Checkmyfile will charge you a subscription fee of £14.99 per month thereafter.

To get the best from this service, please ensure you register all of your primary and/or associated addresses within the last 6 years.

Total Home Loans will receive a payment of £12 per free trial entered into via the link to Checkmyfile’s website. This is payable whether you cancel the trial period or not.

It should be noted that lenders will not be assessing the report produced from Checkmyfile and will undertake their own research and assessment.

* By clicking the link you’re departing from the regulatory website of [FIRM NAME]. Neither [FIRM NAME] nor Quilter Financial Planning are responsible for the accuracy of the information contained within their site. Details of how to unsubscribe or cancel this service, is available directly from the Checkmyfile website under their T&C’s which states “If you wish to cancel your subscription, please log in and send us a Secure Message at any time, email us, or call us on our Freephone telephone number 0800 086 9360 during normal office hours. In all cases we will provide you with a cancellation reference code in confirmation.